Launched in 2009, the SF State Chinese Flagship Program is a competitive program that combines intensive language instruction and cultural training with professional development.
About the Language Flagship Program
The SF State Chinese Flagship Program is one of 31 Flagship Programs at 21 institutions of higher education across the U.S. funded by The Language Flagship. The Language Flagship is a national effort to change the way Americans learn languages. Flagship offers language programs at schools across the United States for undergraduate students in critical languages such as Arabic, Chinese, Korean, Persian, Portuguese, Russian and Turkish. Designed as a network of programs, The Language Flagship seeks to graduate students who will take their place among the next generation of global professionals, commanding a superior level of proficiency in many languages critical to U.S. competitiveness and security.
The Language Flagship is a public/private partnership sponsored by the National Security Education Program (NSEP) of the Department of Defense and administered by the Institute of International Education (IIE). The contents of the website do not necessarily reflect the position or policy of the government or IIE and no official government or IIE endorsement should be inferred.
The Chinese Flagship Program at SF State
This program provides Flagship students with special domestic courses, individualized tutoring, domain training, multiple study abroad opportunities and a professional internship in China.
The SF State Chinese Flagship Program involves coursework both at SF State and overseas:
- Coursework at SF state, enhanced by personalized tutoring
- Overseas summer study: 8-week program, specialized for Flagship Students
- Overseas “capstone” year; specialized Flagship courses, direct enrollment courses, career-oriented internship
The Flagship Program combines well with any major and enhances students’ competitiveness for scholarships, career opportunities, and graduate school admissions. Students receive individualized advising and become part of a community of highly motivated peers.
The Flagship Program is open both to students who begin their study of Chinese at SF State and to students who enroll at an intermediate or advanced level, including students who grew up speaking Chinese at home. You must be a SF State undergraduate to participate in the SF State Chinese Flagship Program.
- Guided intensive language study, peer tutoring and faculty mentoring at SF State
- Summer overseas intensive language immersion in China or Taiwan
- Language Flagship Overseas Capstone Year in China at Nanjing University and National Taiwan University
- Language Flagship professional internship in China or Taiwan
- Scholarship support for overseas study (U.S. Citizens only)