A student will apply for either the Prep phase or Partner phase when applying to SF State’s Chinese Flagship Program. Refer to details below (apply here "submit an online application").
This application will not time out as long as your browser window remains open; however, you will not be able to save your responses and complete the application in different sessions. Please consider the following essay questions and prepare your responses prior to beginning the application. If you have any difficulty with the application process, please contact our Outreach Coordinator, Joshua Ortiz, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions to Follow:
- Please share with us information about extra-curricular activities and community involvement not included in your application. Please be specific and succinct, including only those activities you feel are most relevant to your admission to the Flagship Program. Please include a brief description of the activity, affiliated organization/institution, and duration of your involvement. Please include any titles or offices held.
- Please share information about any awards or acknowledgements you have received.
- In 500 words or less, explain your personal motivation for studying Chinese and how the Chinese Flagship Program will contribute to your academic and/or professional interests or goals. Include any relevant personal, academic, or professional considerations. Please complete this essay in English.
(Only for partner phase applicants ) In 1000 characters or less, traditional or simplified, discuss one of the following topics:
a. Share a significant experience, achievement, or rish you have taken and tis impact on your, or
b. Discuss an issue of personal, local, national, or international concern and its importance to you.
- Please provide the name, title, Institution/Affiliation, phone number, email and applicant relationship for 2 recommenders.
- Please attach a copy of your most recent transcript.
The Flagship Prep phase is for students with little to no Chinese language training. Have you studied Chinese for two years or less? This is the phase for you. Students in Flagship Prep typically enroll in CHIN 101, 102 or 103 depending on their incoming Chinese proficiency. Proficiency is determined through standardized tests and/or a meeting with the Flagship Academic Advisor, Dr. Frederik Green. Flagship Prep students are also expected to complete CHIN 175 and CHIN 275 with a grade of C or better. Flagship Prep students will be paired with a Chinese tutor for additional language practice.
The Flagship Partner Phase is for students with intermediate to advanced level Chinese language proficiency. Students in Flagship Partner meet with our Flagship Advisor, Dr. Frederik Green, regularly to determine class placement. Partner Phase students must complete CHIN 475, 476, 501 and two advanced level content courses before enrolling in the Capstone Year Overseas.
Apply to Flagship Prep and Partner
If you prefer to submit a PDF copy of the application, please contact our Outreach Coordinator, Joshua Ortiz, by email (email@example.com) to obtain a copy. Otherwise, you can submit an online application.